SDA advocates for the needs of people with sleep disorders and raises awareness of sleep disorders and the significance they can have on the lives of those affected by them. We also provide support and education with regards to the prevention and treatment of sleep disorders. We work with a range of sleep health professionals, organisations, research centres and peak bodies including the Woolcock Institute of Medical Research, Australasian Sleep Association, Hypersomnolence Australia and the Sleep Health Foundation.
Our work includes, but is not limited to:
- Providing free presentations to the public and specific interest groups.
- Branch meetings and other local get togethers where you can meet others with sleep disorders and get involved with local activities and events.
- Participate as consumer health advocates and patient representatives on clinical trial networks and related committees.
- Provide support and information to research centres and the Australasian Sleep Association on clinical trials and policy matters.
- Provide public and private sleep clinics and sleep specialists information booklets including a range of factsheets for patients and the public.
- Participation in awareness initiatives including World Sleep Day, Sleep Awareness Week and various individual sleep disorder awareness events, including Australia's first annual Sleep Apnoea Awareness Day!
- Maintain website that includes a list of sleep clinics by State, information about health funds and other rebates for PAP users, as well as a range of factsheets and other information that you can download and share.
- Social Media channels including Facebook and Twitter.
- Facebook support group.
- Support by telephone, mail and e-mail. We give non-medical advice to people about sleep disorders, including how to get diagnosed and available treatments. We also answer other inquiries and send out information brochures.
- Apnea Awareness Program and Buddy system – see our website for more details.
- Quarterly Member Newsletter.
- FREE second hand PAP machine advertising on our website for all members. Non-members are also welcome to advertise.